chapter three

I made the lot of them stand in a line while I circled them, like some great cat trying to decide which mouse to strike first. My leg was still aching but void take me if I was about to let it show before the likes of these. Commoners, cooks, servants, and a handful of armed soldiers. At least one among them must not be surprised to see me. At least one among them delivered the message, quite the secret and well-coded message, to the late Ambassador Silva. Quite possibly this same one or ones had deciphered the message before delivery, and by rights should be joining the ambassador in the afterworld this very evening.

I suppose I was in the grips of a strange humor. "Rats, vermin, traitors all of you, until I have discerned otherwise. Wipe the sleep from your eyes, little mice. We must have a bit of talk, here under the dark eaves of the wood. It was the ambassador's last wish." I raised Silva's head, still twisted in the grotesque throes of his passing, and conferred. "Isn't that correct, Ambassador Silva?" I could not resist causing the dead man to answer me with a nod. Like I said, strange humor. Torch in my left hand, death in my right, I closed in.

Near the center of this entourage of eight stood a tall soldier whose burnished armor gleamed before the approaching torch. "You I think I know. Victorious. Victorious Difont. A warrior of some renown in our homeland, one who served with honor in the campaigns against the barbarians in the Torn Lands some winters back. You served with valor, keeping the Western Marches of Godii safe and paving the way for The Project. Is this not so?"

The soldier was tall, much taller than myself, and did not answer immediately. He just stood there looking... Proud? Such weakness and difference of height had to be tended to at once. I slapped his helmet soundly with the ambassador's head, then held my torch close. "Well, speak, hero of Godii."

I walked away as one without care for the answer until I heard a voice almost as musical as my own. I fairly turned as the giant spoke. It would seem he required more than one collision with the ambassador's head to forego his pride. "Indeed, I am Difont, though any accolades I did receive belonged more rightly to my selvat, some of whom still serve at my side this very evening. Am I correct in guessing that you are none other than Jon Rever, Rider of Godii? Know this, Sir Rever. These good people, all of them including the late ambassador, are under my sworn protection."

I ignored his guess as to my identity and returned to height unmoved, pride undeparted and treated them both to a whisper full of acid. "Then this night is not one of your better, Difont." I gestured and the ambassador's head followed suit. "But rest easy, and nourish still that pride you value so much, if such be your inclination. None could have saved the ambassador, though you be thrice your number. Treachery," and now my gaze took in their full number in turn, "can neither run nor long hide from a Rider of Godii." My eyes came to rest once more upon the tall, proud soldier with fluted voice. "You I trust, and any under your direct command." I spared a glance for the three soldiers on either side of him and motioned them aside. "Take your men and stand under yon bancher, where I can see you. Lay your weapons down and attend."

Victorious Difont moved without hesitation to comply, unbuckling his sword and placing it with great care against the trunk of the indicated tree. With somewhat more hesitation and not a few glances at the bloodied head in my hand, three soldiers followed suit, if not quite so gracefully. Now there were four. And quite frightened. All of them saw their own deaths mirrored in Silva's dead eyes. Good.

One of them intrigued me by his bearing only slightly more than the rest, so I left him for last. This first one, he shook at the sound of my raised voice. "Look deep into these eyes! Look well upon your departed master! Will you be joining him tonight? Someone delivered a coded message to the ambassador that spoke of a mission of utmost secrecy. Was it you?" The man made noise not unlike a helpless kitten and dropped to the forest floor. Probably the cook.

"That was the cook. He'd be hard pressed to read anything beyond a recipe, much less a high-security code." This from the intriguing one. He would suffer for that outburst. I spared him no visible notice as I moved to the next.

Holding the head before me, I allowed the proximity of death's rictus grin to do my work for me. "Perhaps you, madame, could teach us all the reason for the ambassador's recently failed health. Speak." She quivered mutely, trying to match the bearing of Victorious and failing. Poor little girl. She would soon be on the ground next to the cook despite all her attempts at valor. "I'm waiting, madame. I do not like to wait."

"Sir, please torment not the staff and servants of the Embassy. I respectfully ask that you make your charges and speak your case against the late ambassador and any others here assembled you might name in civil fashion, as properly befits an honored soldier who has achieved the coveted title of Rider." The giant Difont seeking to rattle me? Yet full of honor and pride, he appeared unafraid to assert his will in the face of a superior. So undaunted. This might have proven a dangerous man, had I acknowledged his gross insubordination. So I did not. Instead I wondered if he was in league of some sort with the intriguing little fellow I had planned to question last. Both were piping off when they ought to know better, this Difont and this other, my chief suspect, who would now receive my full attention.

This one stood eye to eye with me. Good. "You are no cook, nor servant. You've had military training."

"As have you." The bastard dared to wait. "Sir."

I turned my back on him and walked several paces, taking my torchlight with me. Let darkness gnaw at this one's bravado, then. I did not turn back for some time. "A scout, by my reckoning. Fleet of foot, perhaps of tongue, but hardly one borne to the taking of life. Sharp of eye as well. What did your sharp eyes see when you received that message not meant for you? What did you descry between that moment and the moment the message reached our good ambassador's hand?"

He honestly surprised me with his answer. "Oh, I read it. At least, I read the introduction which said," he paused to clear his throat, " 'Let it be known that any who read one line further--and this means you, Laen Abor--shall risk death by base assassin in the dark woods to the south and east of Siguard City.' I consulted with my colleagues, and by overwhelming consensus, the decision was reached that I should stop reading there."

I whirled and the small clearing whirled with me in the sputtering torchlight. "Do you mock me, little man?" I approached him, pausing only to stave my torch into the soft dirt and draw my sword. My patience for foolery such as this was quite low at the moment.

"No, sir! In sooth I did stop reading there. Clearly the ambassador did not." His lips betrayed only the briefest hint of smirk. The woman at his side, despite or perhaps in light of her horror, attempted to stifle a giggle. She succeeded when I put my sword to her throat. This other did not.

"Excuse me, sir... what was your name again? The late ambassador bleeds on my boot."

Without taking my eyes off the little pretty and her quivering throat, I responded to the upstart. "I would not be so quick to trade away your seeming good humor for my own ill humor, servant. Quickly, ere my blade slips and makes a mess of the lady here--what is your name and station?"

"I am the junior ambassador, assistant to Ambassador Silva, whose shoulders were so recently relieved of their burdens. I quite enjoy my burdens, by the way. They help me sleep at night."

"Well, junior ambassador, it seems we are at an impasse." My eyes still held the terrified girl, her giggling long departed. "Your insolence has earned you death, yet I need you." I released her now, and her shoulders slumped in relief. I circled the remaining trio, careful not to trod upon the fallen cook. Ever closing circles, drawing the net tighter. "As junior ambassador, you shall succeed your mentor, at least for the next several moons, until a more fitting replacement can be appointed and make the journey to Siguard City." Now I fixed him with eyes that had seen far too many deaths to be bothered by one more. "At which time, Ambassador, I may have less need of you, and your shoulders less need of their smirking burden. Attend now! All of you!" I withdrew my sword and decided to spare the girl, but only barely. Her blood might have made a more effective punctuation mark to this junior ambassador's plight. Yet I wished to retain the goodwill of the Embassy security and their captain. I might find need of their shelter and assistance before my sojourn in this heathen land came to an end.

"Recently, quite recently, I watched a Siguardian witch and the Man Without Armor shred my selvat to pieces, scarcely two days march from our destination in Bemer. I alone survived to hide myself in the wood until the witch and hers had departed. Quite naturally, I proceeded to Bemer, donning heathen garb and accent and inquiring as to recent events of the locals. Greatly surprised was I," I spared another glance at the newly appointed Ambassador to Siguard, this Laen, "to learn that most unexpectedly, and against orders, the late Ambassador Silva and a small party had been guests in Bemer and had only left a few days before. What, I did wonder, was the ambassador doing in Bemer at precisely the same time as the Witch who was the target of my selvat's secret mission? The Witch who did turn upon her would be hunters as one forewarned? I immediately smelled the reek of treachery. Fortunately, the ambassador's girth and bearing favored many stops at any excuse for an inn and expansive meals. It did not take long to find and question him. No Siguardian patrol nor lone Godiian sentry could long prevent me."

Beside Captain Difont, a soldier stirred in shame. The sentry. "Be at ease, Victorious Difont. The ambassador did confess his betrayal tonight, of how he did inform this witch and her Flaming Blade of our presence in Siguard, even to the degree of our location. He was a traitor, and here in the wild, there is naught but one judgement to be rendered." I raised Silva's head and tossed it to roll at Victorious's feet. "He confessed to a superior officer and justice was meted out. Does this suffice, Captain?"

"I understand that the rigors of extended duty in enemy territory do not allow for... proper procedures. One must needs improvise in the absence of courts and advocates." Difont's voice was smooth and unwavering. Well enough.

I turned again upon the girl, her dark skin pale in the torchlight. "Do you know what Silva's last words were, little flower? He pleaded for your life, claiming that despite trysts between you, he had told you nothing. Now I wonder." My sword was again raised as I spoke. My eyes burned through her own, which spilled forth now with tears of fear renewed. "Why would a dying man make such a request? What did he tell you, in the small dark after union?"

Victorious was swift, and moved surprisingly quiet--or at least, quiet to lesser ears. I did not face his approach. "Mind your station, Captain, and be at ease. This one shall be spared. I shall take her back to Godii for questioning, once my errand here is finished. Withdraw."

"What witnesses have you to support your claims, sir? Your act of sneaking into our sleeping ranks, the abduction and subsequent murder of our ambassador, the intimidation of his staff, and the torment of this unarmed maiden? Who bore witness to your claims of treason and conspiracy, sir?"

I shot the Captain a glance that stopped him in his tracks. Then I tapped my sword to either ear. "Two witnesses, all I need. Or do you question your superior here, far from home and due process? I say again, withdraw!"

Captain Difont frowned slightly but complied, returning to stand under the bancher where I had placed him. It was good to know that such as he remained loyal and observed protocol without swerve even under such unexpected press. Now for this junior ambassador and his promotion. "Hear now, Ambassador Abor, your new orders. Do not question them or try my patience any further this night, but attend!" I turned to see that I did indeed have his attention now, if something less than the proper amount of respect. That would come.

"You are to return to the Citadel with Silva's body. His death was a seeming tragic accident." I strode forth and retrieved the head, then stepped to the far edge of the clearing and a bush whose berries reflected the light of the torch like droplets of blood. I plucked one and forced it into Silva's twisted mouth, then closed it fast. "In the dark of night, his great appetite led him in search of grelberries. Unfortunately, he found hartleberries and could not discern the difference. Death by harlteberry poison is quite painful, often leading to a gross contortion of facial features that is quite unnerving to the weak of heart." I return to face the new ambassador. "So of course, you will seal Silva's casket out of respect for the feint-hearted come the funeral. All of this you will report both to your Siguardian contacts in their council chamber, and in the official report you will send to your superiors in Godii. They will dispatch proper letters of condolence and honor to the departed ambassador's surviving family in the homeland, so do not concern yourself with such mundane matters."

Laen shuffled his feet disrespectfully. He did not appear to enjoy being given orders. Well enough. I did not enjoy having my patience tried by charlatans such as he. "It seems that Silva forgot his allegiance, becoming enamored of the heathens and their red city, even befriending the Witch of Siguard, this Krysli-turned-councilor. Your first charge in your new office, Ambassador Abor, is to feign a similar fondness for the heathens, and gain the Witch's confidence as Silva did before you. Only do not go so far as to forget your allegiance to your countrymen." I raise the head one last time before casting it aside. "It is not healthy."

The new Godiian Ambassador to Siguard remained unconvinced, or at least did strive to appear so. "What if she will not grant me audience? What if she suspects intrigue in the late ambassador's sudden passing? How then, to observe my orders and yet maintain the goodwill of my superiors?" An innocent enough question, if only the lips of its master were not so far removed from innocence.

I was sure my hand was heavy as it descended upon Abor's shoulder. He winced despite himself. At his side, Silva's apparent mistress winced in tandem with tear-streaked face. "Ambassador, Silva was by his own account her friend. There is little doubt she will be asking you for audience, once the formalities and rituals have been properly observed. So be prepared, use your wits to their fullest to fulfill your charge, or know that the next time you look upon my face, you will look into the eyes of your own death."

I grabbed the girls wrist and moved to depart. Victorious, this man bursting with honor and pride, was not yet satisfied. "Sir, what token can you give to such as we, unknowing of your intent, yet familiar now with your methods, that Lady Berlal will be treated well and kept safe on your journey back to Godii?"

Finally, this evening had given me something I could laugh out loud about. "I am not returning to Godii, Captain Difont. Not yet. I am a Rider of Godii and there remains the matter of my secondary assigment, which commands me now that my late Comm'dor cannot. She shall remain safe and whole for the duration of my stay, here in the Eastern Wild. You have my word as a Rider of Godii. Now remember well your orders and stations, little diplomats. Speak no word of this meeting to any one, not even each other. I shall be watching you all." Sheathing my sword, I left, tugging the girl behind me. I paused only long enough to reclaim my torch and leave the lot of them blinking in the darkness with a dead man's head at their feet.

Now I am tired. It has been three days, and finally a remote location far from the main roads and patrols of Siguard has been gained. This will be my home for a time. Game is plentiful enough, and I have a mission to complete. Full understanding of the Krysli will yet be won. I smile at the thought as I toss the last handful of dirt on the late Lady Berlal's shallow grave. Safe and whole she shall be indeed.

What was that? None could approach me without warning so--were I not so tired. I've been careless! My sword is not at my side. I look up and see yellow. Not the yellow cape of a courier, but the bright, ill-fitting raiment of... Of all who might surpass my senses, to stumble across me here in the Eastern wilds of Siguard, this--a troubador from far off Cleppar Jest? Yet I cannot savor the irony, for it is not his instrument which he brandishes now. It is a long dagger. This Jester at least knows how to fight. And stealth. I am in danger and I have not my sword. How did I let this happen?

The Jester advances and speaks. His voice is beautiful and laden with rich melody, even as he threatens my life. It is the voice of a keeper of secrets, an entertainer, and my death knell, all at once. It is a voice that is incredibly easy to hear yet impossible to describe. I scrabble backwards looking for some advantage and find I have none. I have just finished burying a woman, and who knows how long this man watched from afar? What judgement will he render upon a Godiian in Siguardian fields, under such circumstance? My own melodious voice can find no answer fitting to his question. He continues to advance, and I, a Rider of Godii, find myself now wholly at the mercy of an angry Jester. He begins to circle me, like some great cat...